Call for Applications: Model United Nations (MUN) Workshop in New York 6-9 November 2015 (deadline: 15 September 2015)
The United Nations Department of Public Information is inviting student leaders and MUN Advisors of Model UN programmes at university and high school level to apply for the 2015 MUN Workshop to be held at UN Headquarters in New York from 6-9 November 2015.
Registration deadline: 15 September 2015
Criteria for eligibility
1. The workshop is designed for university or high school student leaders who organize Model UN conferences or will be organizing one in 2016.
2. Participation in the workshop is also open to Model UN Advisors (faculty and non-faculty) who are currently supervising a Model UN programme at high school or university level.
3. If you are a MUN Advisor but are not teaching at a university or high school, you must submit proof that you are currently advising a MUN programme.
4. At a minimum, all participants (except chaperones) must have attended at least one Model UN simulation or conference and must be enrolled in a school at the time the workshop takes place in order to be eligible.
5. High school students who are 18 or younger who wish to attend the workshop must be accompanied by an adult chaperone who is 21 or older.
MUN Workshop objectives
The MUN workshop 2015 (November 6 – 9 November, 2015) takes place in the context of giving students and MUN advisors a basic understanding of the General Assembly’s Rules of Procedure, the discussion and action phases of General Assembly Committee meetings, how to draft resolutions, the duties and responsibilities of the UN Secretariat and General Assembly officials, the negotiation process that takes place during informal meetings, how consensus is achieved, the Security Council’s Provisional Rules of Procedure, the different formats used for Security Council meetings and more.
Please note, while there is no application fee for the workshop, participants are responsible for all travel and living expenses. No financial assistance is available for participation in the workshop. Participants are also responsible for obtaining a visa if required.